Making Money With Linux (Was: Help on Ubuntu advocacy)

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Sun Jun 26 11:29:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 16:29 +0800, Senectus . wrote:

> The thing that I believe pushes open source with the most vigor and
> power is the "belief" behind it.
>
> Even better yet, these immensely powerful forces aren't just limited
> to developers.
> You get whole massive chunks of society not just the I.T. Geeks, that
> work on OSS project or just talk about it to other people. Each of
> them doing it because they like it, it makes them fell warm and fuzzy,
> they feel they can make a difference and as I said before because
> "It's the Right Thing To Do" :-)

I can't wait for other sectors of society turning to a free-er way of
life. (Like, brothels would be nice for a start. :) )   Seriously
though, it's not common but 'software' is not the only field. Some
artists, teachers, religous groups and most surely voluntary NGO's also
seem willing to do real work for free.

Of course.. Most of those groups do it to advance a cause that the group
considers worthy.. In the case of OSS though, is the only cause 'MS / B.
Gates is evil' ?   Even if a good cause is having computers available to
people/countries who can't afford to pay Microsoft et al, most of these
countries seem the LAST to flock to OSS because they just copy and use
commercial software for 'free'.

Just some thoughts..

Cheers,
Chanchao