Use Ubuntu on a laptop

Trent Lloyd Sabi lathiat at bur.st
Fri Jun 24 11:16:08 UTC 2005

Sabine,

On Friday 24 June 2005 19:01, Sabine Cretella wrote:
> Hi, I just found out about Ubuntu and it seems to be the solution I
> searched for.
>
> Now I am working maily on a laptop. Does anyone have experiences with
> Intel centrino technology?
>
> I am working with a
> Intel Pentium M 1,73 GHz
> 1,00 GB Ram
> NIVIDA GeForce Go 6600
> DVD/CD: MATSHITA UJ-831D
> what other indications are needed?

The hardware you have listed should work fine.

> Or should I just try the live-CD and see if I can work on my projects
> this way?

This is always a good way to see what will work.

I think your biggest potential problem would be wireless and ethernet drivers,
and maybe your screen resolution if you have a weird resolution (like
1280x768)

If you list what type of these you have (you can also check with a live cd) we
might be able to tell you more.

Also the make/model of your laptop is usefull.

You can see the wiki for a list of compatible laptops and details

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops

> How can I really test out if everything would work well before
> definitely installing the OS?
With the live-cd :)

> The thing is I use my laptop for work - so I cannot afford to have real
> difficulties to sort out ...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Trent