forum vs. mailing list (was: Popular pills - 75% OFF)

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Tue Jun 21 08:54:41 UTC 2005

Hello.

Vincent Trouilliez:

> I think it's great to be able to READ the mailing list from the web,
> to get a taste before joining (that's what I did), but you should
> not be able to write from the forum. If one is so interested in
> the mailing list that 1) he reads it regularly and 2) wants to
> reply/participate, then it's only logical that he subscribes to
> the mailing list... well I think ! ;-P

One could argue the other way around, i.e. that the mailing list is
just a gate to the forum, and it's the mailing list which should be
read-only.

IMHO both the forums and the mailing lists are just interfaces
to channels of communications and should be treated as equal.
Crippling one or the other is not a proper solution to spam problems.

Cheers,
-- Shot (who cannot understand how one could possibly
cope with forums, but will defend their rights anyway)
--
                  We aim to please. Ourselves, mostly, but we
                  do aim to please.    -- Anthony DeBoer, asr