Weird installation problem (freezing)

Iosif Chatzimichail afonic at altecnet.gr
Fri Jun 17 12:09:32 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I have a pretty weird installation problem. Let me start with my system:

Athlon64 3000+
Chaintech VNF4 Ultra (nForce4 Ultra)
200GB Seagate SATA
Asus GeForce 6600GT PCI Express

So I start the install of a Hoary 5.04 64bit system. The CD boots, the
stuff are loaded in the memory, until one spot:
When it says "Trying to enable the frame buffer" it stays there for ~1
minute and then loading the install GUI VERY slow. Like One-one line
filling gray and then all over again to turn blue.
The language selection dialog appears and it all stops there.

I tried many stuff, like removing all unnessesary devices, using a 80GB
PATA drive etc but the same thing happens all the time.
I have a x86 version of Ubuntu which I successfully installed in my
laptop and it does exactly the same thing too, so it's not the CD or the
64 version but my system.
I tried installing Ubuntu in a VMware virtual machine running on the
windows I have in the first drive and it run just fine!
I just tried Debian and everything work just fine.
The problem with Ubuntu goes on. Debian shows language selection in
10secs, Ubuntu needs 5mins and then freezes.

Any ideas / hints ?

Thx....