Reiserfs corruption: a little help, please!

Paul M. Bucalo ubuntuser at pmbservices.com
Thu Jun 16 18:15:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 19:22 +0200, Gerhard Gaußling wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 16 Juni 2005 03:05 schrieb Paul M. Bucalo:
> > > Somehow I managed to corrupt a reiserfs partition. <...>

> This looks to me, like anunchanged corrupted reiserfs partition. It
> seems that the flag that tells the script that the filesystem is
> corrupt changed due to the start into the recovery console and reboot.
> But I'm not sure about it.

That's what I thought after I experienced unusual slowness and stalls
during disk reads from then on. I *had* hoped for a miraculous recovery
on its own. ;0)

> Please try to follow the instructions of Karl Hegbloom,

As soon as the slowness and stalls came about, I booted up to a root
shell just after mounting ro, as directed. Indeed, my "/" partition was
messed up. It resolved the problem, but only time will tell if I lost
enough programming to cause me future grief. Already, I came across one
occasion where I couldn't log out of my X-session properly. :0/

We've been having some terrific thunderstorms lately. A couple of times
in the past week one of our city's generators has been hit causing power
failure in that sector. I haven't been directly affected, but indirectly
I have been seeing power fluctuations throughout the day. Twice I think
I have gone through a reboot while I was away from my desk because when
I came back, I found myself at the DM login when I should have been in
Evolution. I may have been getting deeper into trouble over time.

Time to get another UPS for the office. *Always* 'another thing' to get.

> Just my two cents...

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Paul