"My first 48 hours enduring Ubuntu"

David Teague davidbteague at verizon.net
Thu Jun 16 15:28:07 UTC 2005

Zonker wrote:

> As I said, I understand the desire for consistency, and consistency is
> often a good thing - but rigid enforcement of it kind of rubs me the
> wrong way. Maybe some developer has thought up a better interface than
> Apple, or maybe the Apple interface guidelines aren't appropriate for
> their application.

Hi Zonker

Emerson said that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin
of little minds, but he doesn't tell how to distinguish wise
consistency from foolish consistency.

You wouldn't want a car's clutch and brake interchanged
or have what is usually the accelerator pedal do the
braking.

This was discussed in the early days when there League
for Programming Freedom opposed user interface
copyrights which produces gratuitous and annoying
differences in user interfaces.

There is a NEED some consistency. I find the lack of
a "back button" in the Acrobat Reader to be annoying.
I like having a consistent set of buttons and drop down
menus in applications.

I wish designers knew how to draw Emerson's line.

Warm Regards
David Teague

--
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is
being run by smart people who are putting