How do I get my printer to show up via samba?

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 07:29:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 19:28 -0400, desdinova wrote:
> Is there anything like this in /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> browseable = no
> path = /tmp
> printable = yes
> public = no
> writable = no
> create mode = 0700

Yes.  Exactly that section is present and not commented out.  As far as
I know I am running with the default smb.conf file.

Now that I look in there I also find the following section.  Do I need
to uncomment the cups or printcap lines here?  (I note that printcap is
not located in /etc/ on an Ubuntu system so I assume I need to change
this as well if these lines are needed.)

########## Printing ##########

# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
;   load printers = yes

# lpr(ng) printing. You may wish to override the location of the
# printcap file
;   printing = bsd
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap

# CUPS printing.  See also the cupsaddsmb(8) manpage in the
# cupsys-client package.
;   printing = cups
;   printcap name = cups

# When using [print$], root is implicitly a 'printer admin', but you can
# also give this right to other users to add drivers and set printer
# properties
;   printer admin = @ntadmin