Help with new monitor

Martin J Hooper martinjh at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 20:08:54 UTC 2005

Russell Blau wrote:
> Here's the question -- somewhere on my system there is probably a file that
> tells Gnome what the default graphics mode should be.  How do I find and
> change that file to put in some plain-vanilla graphics mode that my new
> monitor should be able to handle?

Also make sure you have the new monitor specs handy for Horiz and
vertical refresh rates too.  They are usually in the specs in the manual.

then do

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and then put the relevent details in when asked.

dpkg-reconfigure normally detects your montior settings anyway - At
least it does on my 19" CRT...