sudo, su, root

Russell Cook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 13 04:10:43 UTC 2005

Magnus Therning wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 12:05:26AM +0700, Chanchao wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 17:31 +0200, Albin Blaschka wrote:
>>

>>>no, this mail bears no questions, why I have no root account ;-)
>>>Maybe it is the answer (relief?) for some of us. Others maybe may curse
>>>me ;-)
>>>

>>Yup.. I sometimes wish the whole gnome environment had a quick switch to
>>root..  Like run with 'safety off' for a while for as long as you need
>>it.  This because using the GUI for basic file operations such as
>>copying web files into the www folder, or installing a font, or any
>>other minor administrative task doesn't work.

If you're running a server, the WWW folder might need root access to
tidy up and move things around. But if the machine is primarily for you,
then put your self in the staff or operator groups (I can never remember
which is the default ubuntu one) and set the group rights to the www
folder to rwx for the group you've chosen. (You might want to chown and
chmod the www directory structure first to get everything as you want
it). I've done this and have no trouble editing my website as my usual
ID with no root rights required.