Suggestions for Ubuntu Article

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Sat Jun 11 05:13:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 11:42 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:

> > I guess, yes. I don't think users even want know about multiverse or
> > somethingelse-verse.. I think they just want to run Synaptic, search
> > for the app, check the box and click 'apply'.
>
> That is all very well for those who want to use Linux for Linux sake.
> But what about those of us who convert from Windows to Ubuntu? I am
one
> of those and I have no idea of what apps are available, in fact I am
not
> sure what app means and I don't think I care. I want to use my
computer
> for what I and my family want to do and if I can't I will ask.

Ehh, right, I think we agree there.  Basically I too want it to be
easier.

> > Oh.. Didn't know that yet. To me it was just a matter of "Argh..!
Why
> > can't I find app xyz!", dig in Google, dig in How-to's, wiki's...
Find
> > the how-to on enabling "YES-I-WANT-IT-ALL-verse"... Phew! That
worked.

> If, like me, you don't know what you want, then this does not apply.

Well, all I wanted was play music. Didn't know *anything* else either,
other than a gut feeling that if something obvious wasn't working that
I'd need to download and install something.

It'd be SO nice if Ubuntu just played mp3 (and dvd) after installation..
That's all.

Cheers,
Chanchao