Setting up Local Area Network (Dazed & Confused)

Alex Ferguson b_linuz at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 21:10:48 UTC 2005

Hello,
I bet this has been asked a MILLION times, but I've
been searching but nothing really helped.I've been
bouncing from one solution to another, and nothing
works!
So, here goes.I have my POWERFULL PC, connected to the
net through a LAN card, that is connected to the DSL
Modem, that is connected to the phone line.It's a
Windows-only PC, mind you.Now, I've got another PC, a
500 MHZ Ubuntu Playground.I want to connect the second
one (500MHZ) with the first one (3GHZ).The 500 one
will connect using a standard LAN card, to the 3GHZ
one, using the IC7's intergrated LAN module(Using a
xover cable, mind you).So far,so good...so what?
That's where the fun stops.I'm good at computers, but
when it comes to networking, I fall down and pull my
(pubic) hair.On the 500MHZ one I have all standard
network-tools, plus Firestarter.
So, could somebody point me to a NEWBIE TUTORIAL or
something? Or tell me what to do, in general (Meaning,
IP in one has to be this, in the other it has to be
that, gateway in no.2 has to be IP of no.1 and all
that).I'd really appreciate all help given.ALL HELP.

Thanks.Bear with me.Or Whale.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato