Severe performance issues

Limaunion limaunion at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Jun 10 02:43:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've been running Ubuntu at home since the first days, switched from
Fedora in my two computers. Today I installed Hoary at work in a new
computer (one of the latest HP models) and updated it with the latest
packages via apt, I wanted to give it a try.

Ubuntu was installed booting with the 'server' parameter (minimal
packages) in order to run Postfix as a relay server. After just 10 or 15
minutes the server had all of its RAM exausted (256MB) including virtual
swap space (750MB). The OOM started to work and froze the system.
Exactly the same service and configuration was previously running in a
P1 166Mhz with 128MB of RAM with RH 7.3 without any problem for the last
3 years (now is having some hard disk issues, so the change). I solved
this by just picking another computer and installing RH 7.3 again.

I know this is not the right way to report a bug or a kernel trouble,
but just want to say that something is very wrong with the default
Ubuntu kernel, any ideas.

Regards,
Limaunion.