Kernel panic - Ubuntu refuses to start - What to do?

Henrik Andersson h.andersson at
Thu Jun 9 19:59:55 UTC 2005

I installed Ubuntu a few weeks ago and was generally very pleased with
it, seems all very easy to use.

But today when I try to start Ubuntu it replies with the unfriendly message:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
block (0,0)

I installed some update yesterday which the update manageer suggested,
and it had something to do with the kernel, perhaps this is the reason,
but since I am linux guru I ama at loss at the moment...

I tried booting in recovery mode, same answer there, so now I am using
Windows XP...Trying to convince people to switch to Linux doesn't get
easier when these things happen.

I hope anyone out there has a solution, otherwise have a nice weekend!

Henrik Andersson
Netherlands Institute of Ecology -
Centre for Estuarine and Marine Ecology
P.O. Box 140