Ubuntu Newbies Project (UNP)

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 12:46:06 UTC 2005

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> IRC support is fine too, but I suspect that's already
> self-limiting your audience to people who are way more
> technically proficient than the audience I think we should
> be supporting.

I've no idea what open-source solutions are out there, but last time I
had a problem with an Epson printer, they had a website with,
effectively, an implementation of the old talk protocol. You typed in
your message and the Epson person typed back. Eventually, I got a RMA
number (return authorisation).

Something like that, or a basic web page implementation of an IRC
channel, would be cool.

It would still require a working computer, but I think the alternative
of having phone support would be expensive for all concerned.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Remember, half-measures can be very effective if
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | all you deal with are half-wits.