Can't Print from gedit

alex radsky at ncia.net
Tue Jun 7 15:29:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 08:34 -0400, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 20:16 -0400, alex wrote:
> >
> > Are there any instructions for setting up a printer that's connected to
> > one computer? I know nothing about the relative merits of
> > different printer setups, CUPS, et al.
> >
> > Where do I start?
> >
> > alex, the OF
>
> Alex,
>
> If you haven't been able to get a printer setup system-wide, checkout
> the basic info on setting up printers, like a "How To:", so that you get
> the gist of how it is done. You really need to scan this stuff to
> understand what any of us are telling you to do, especially if our
> suggestions fail for you. Here's one site that popped up easily in a
> Google search:

> http://www.alllinuxinfo.com/howto/show/Printing-HOWTO.html
>
> The following will help you install your printer if this has not been
> done at this point:
>
> 1. Go into Synaptic and make sure that you have foomatic and cups
> installed. I have found the foomatic database of drivers to be the most
{snip}
I believe my problem is --I'm not ready for printing, yet ----I think I
have to figure out how to do other things first, for example, run
Synaptic.  But it sure would help if I was able to print excerpts from
documents.  I hate to go back to WinXP just so I can use the printer.

Thanks, all, for the advice.

alex