/etc/hosts rewriting problem

Pablo Wolter pwolter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 22:18:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

I use my laptop in home and office. For office I add manually a lot of
hosts under /etc/hosts as any linux/unix user use to do. But when I came
to home and click the icon of Network Connection in the right upper
corner of the screen and select the "home" location my /etc/hosts file
is empty and only showing the IP address of the hosts tab.

Can anyone teel me WHY in Ubuntu this strange behavior is ocurring? As
far as I know, /etc/hosts file should be only writable by root and NOT
by any user. There are other "security" problems like this enabled by
default in ubuntu that one should be aware of it?

Thanks in advance.

Pablo.