Can't Print from gedit

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 00:29:12 UTC 2005

> Are there any instructions for setting up a printer that's connected to
> one computer? I know nothing about the relative merits of
> different printer setups, CUPS, et al.

Getting a printer to work on any Linux distro -- Ubuntu included -- is
a nightmare web of half-baked documentation, half-baked user
interfaces and people "helpfully" asking you to provide information
that nothing anywhere tells you how to find.  If you're lucky enough
to have EXACTLY the same setup that lots of Linux enthusiasts have
you'll find the process of installing and using your printer to be
mostly painless.  If you have anything that diverges even slightly
from an assumed default (even to the extent, say, of having the same
printer but using USB instead of parallel!) you are in for a large
headache.

Let me put it this way: I was really, really enthused with Ubuntu and
evangelising it with my coworkers.  Until I had to try to get a
printer to work.  A lousy LaserJet 1000.  You know -- probably the
most common laser printer in the world.

I still can't get it to work.  So Ubuntu is now relegated to an unused
partition that never gets booted on my office machine and to an old
hunk of junk I have lying around my apartment for when I get the urge
to experiment with things.

If you ever get your printer working?  Your next assignment is trying
to get a wireless adapter working....