root and /home partitions

Martin Witte ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Jun 3 20:13:52 UTC 2005

* check how much data space you have available - you need temporary
double space for your data - or you have to burn it to
cd/dvd/zipdrivce/etc

* use parted to resize your current partition - see
http://tinyurl.com/9aoxd

* checkout
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-partplan.html for a
comrehensive method of moving once you created a partition

Warning: print those manuals, as the init 1 command closes gnome and
gives you a root prompt, and be very careful - a mistake in the
procedure can be fatal in worst case. If I were you I would create a
boot disk as well - e.g the Ubunti live disk or something like the
system rescue disk (www.sysresccd.org)

--
Martin Witte