stopping my isp from updating my resolv.conf

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 16:53:24 UTC 2005

Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski wrote:
>  The easiest way it's to take +w bit from /etc/resolve.conf by invoking chmod
> u-w /etc/resolve.conf as root.

If you're going to take that approach, you might find chattr +i useful.
man chattr says:
       A file with the ā€˜iā€™ attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be  deleted
       or  renamed,  no  link  can  be created to this file and no data can be
       written to the file.  Only the superuser or a  process  possessing  the
       CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can set or clear this attribute.

So you would have to explicitly use chattr -i to modify it.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Say it with flowers, send a triffid.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |