Un-installing apps : any better than Windows ? :-/

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Jun 3 15:40:16 UTC 2005

I don't mean to show disrespect to my other half... my Ubntu love, but,
I have to say, I am rather disappointed with it's abilities to
un-install applications and clean the system.

I already posted about this several months ago, at which point I got
taught about the "purge" option, to remove dot/hidden configuration
files.

However, I just happen to look at Gconf, and although I was searching
for something else, I noticed a complete branch devoted to "Zapping".
A Gtk TV viewer app that I had installed long ago. Problem, is that I
use XawTv, and that I removed Zapping long ago.
I thought, hmmm maybe I fogot to "purge" when I asked Synaptic to remove
it. So I re-installed it, then removed it as soon, making sure that I
selected the "complete removal"/purge option. But, the .zapping folder
is still there in my home directory, and all the entries in Gconf are
still there (I made sure to exit Gconf and re-open, to refresh the
data).

So bacically, just like windows, apps aren't uninstalled properly, and
leave old files that just make Gcon fatter and fatter, and my home
folder more and more messy :o(

I would like to think that it's a problem specific to this package, but
sadly no. I can see many "dot" folder in my home folder, corresponding
to a dozen apps I installed ages ago just to try them out, and
un-installed on the same day :o(

For instance, as far as I can see :

.amaya
.anjuta
.blender
.bluefish
.bmp
.eroaster
.gnucash
.icewm
.kde
.loki
.mc
.qcad
.qt
.screem
.scribus
.SearchAndRescue
.tuxracer
.wine
.xcdroast
.xfce4
.zinf

I think maybe one or two of them are there because I re-installed Ubuntu
but didn't re-install the app afterwards, leaving the conf files. But I
am certain that most of them were removed cleanlny (or so I thought)
using Synaptic "Complete removal" option... :o(

Not much harm to the system of course, but I would just like to know if
it's just me, and if it isn't, then I would like to know if the devs
know about this problems and intend to work on it ?

Thanks for ideas/opinions/info ...

--
Vince, disappointed...