Video cards : need advise on USED cards...

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Jun 2 23:49:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 14:00 -0700, Kreg Schlosser wrote:
> Hey Vincent,
> Most new AGP 8x cards will work in you AGP 4x slot. I do not suggest
> getting used hardware. But as some one who sells hardware for a living
> I would be glad to give adivse. I would suggest getting and Nvidia
> card since the 3d drivers are much much better then those for ATI. I
> would suggest something from the Geforce fx 5500 line of cards. You
> get get a band new one for under 60 bucks. It will also give you
> enough performance to play most modern games, even Unreal 2k4 and
> Doom3 (though at the lowest resolutions).

Oh, forgot. It seems that these boards come with either 128 or 256MB of
memory. What is the advantage, in practice, of having 256MB over 128 ?
Again, my one and only point of view is X-Plane. Would that allow me to
display more obejects (buildings, roads...) and/or better quality
textures, for example ?

Regards,

Vince, planning his X-mas present..