Problems connecting even on Localhost

Ken McLennan kenrmcl at dnet.net.au
Thu Jun 2 10:18:38 UTC 2005

G'day there One & All,

	I'm not quite a newbie with Linux. I've been using it at home for some
years, but although I know a bit about how it works, I don't know enough
to solve my current problem.

	I connect to the 'net via dialup account and until a day or two ago,
all was fine. Yesterday I found that when using Hoary (I dual boot with
Win XP) I couldn't get a connection worthy of the name. For some strange
reason I found 40 - 70 bps to be just a tad too slow to be practical. To
be precise, it was so slow that sites were disconnecting before I could
load a page. Connections in Windows work fine, but I still can't get a
decent connect speed on Ubuntu. Hence the modem & ISP aren't the problem.

	I recalled that I had used Webmin to review the services begun at
startup, so I thought that perhaps I'd stuffed something up. (I don't
know what, but I thought I'd look for anything that even resembled a
modem or ppp setting). Lo & behold, I couldn't even get a connection to
localhost so no Webmin!!

	At least I've confirmed the fault is at my end, not my ISP's since I
wasn't online at the time =).

	However, that still doesn't help me sort out what the problem is. I use
yawmppp to connect, and it worked fine. The logs it produces show that
before connecting to my ISP there are several "crashes" as it calls
them. The graphic of the little bomb is very descriptive I guess.
However there don't seem to be any descriptions of what went wrong and I
don't really know where to look.

	I know it's more than likely that I stuffed up a setting, but I don't
know what. Any one have any ideas? Not only that, but how do I easily
reset whatever it is if I can't use Webmin?

Hope to hear back soonish & thanks in advance,
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia