Tomboy

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Sat Jul 30 19:32:46 UTC 2005

Hello.

Jochen Skulj:

> Lee Braiden:

>> There are already lots of sticky-notes applications; I'd suggest
>> avoiding one that requires all the overhead of mono, unless you
>> also use mono continuously for other things.

> There are a lot of applications that require some libraries. From the
> user perspective mono is just another set of libraries. I don't see
> any reason to avoid it since the overhead isn't larger than using
> other application that require libraries.

I'm not sure what your machine's specs are, but on my modest laptop
(Celeron 1066 MHz with 384 MB of RAM) there is a *huge* difference
between running a couple of typical GTK programs inside a GNOME session
and bringing up a single Java or Mono application. Even the first launch
of a Qt app takes significantly longer - I was glad to swich Filelight
for Baobab just for the sake of libraries required to run the program.

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
          Remember, you're dealing with developers. If they knew what
          they were doing, they wouldn't be doing it.       -- Mike A