Realplayer

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Sat Jul 30 18:51:15 UTC 2005

On Saturday 30 July 2005 19:33, Michael Shergold wrote:
> Lee thanks for that
> I'm quite new to this Linux thing so how should I go about killing ESD...
> (not even sure what it is without looking in my Linux book). Why the BBC
> insist on REALPLAYER is another story!

open an X terminal (run gnome-terminal, for instance), and type:

  pgrep -l esd

Just to make sure it's there.  If so, you can kill it with:

  pkill esd

Long-term, there are ways to make realplayer comply with esd, by wrapping it
with esdwrapper (if I recall the name of the program correctly).

> Regarding the LAN   I am used to Windows so I kind of expected to see the
> network appear in the Linux file browser somewhere (at the 'computer'
> level) and then maybe see the shared directories and hence the files
> (mainly .mp3 or .jpg). As I said the LAN works because I print across it to
> two printers and access the INTERNET through it.

There are different protocols on networks.  Your Internet access and basic
connectivity may work while other things such as file-sharing do not.  But
it's probably going to be fine, once you set everything up.

Windows shares files using a protocol known as SMB.  So on Linux, you're
looking for an SMB browser for your desktop (GNOME, presumably).  I'm not
sure what meets that requirement in GNOME, but I know you have a number of
options.  One of them may be to simply open the "lan:" or "smb:" location in
nautilus.  I'm pretty sure there's a way to just browse to the right location
too, but I forget how; haven't used GNOME recently.  Consult the help files
as always, but perhaps someone else will provide you with exact details.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com