Firefox 1.1 -> 1.5 (was: Firefox Update Disappearing Act)

James Livingston jrl at ids.org.au
Fri Jul 29 15:49:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 17:36 +0200, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski wrote:
> Firefox 1.1 isn't going to happen. There'll be Firefox 1.5 instead,
> but I highly doubt it'll make it into Breezy (except breezy-backports
> at some point in time).
>
> I wonder what will the security team do when 1.5.1 comes out with
> patches for holes present both in 1.0 and in 1.5 - the new Ubuntu
> security policy for Mozilla products is to upgrade to the newest
> version (hopefully Mozilla will support the 1.0 line for some time
> after Firefox 1.5 releases).

I imagine that a 1.0 -> 1.5 transition within a release (i.e. breezy)
would be difficult. Aside from the substantial changes within Firefox
itself, it might break things that depend on the firefox package (of
which there are quite a few).

From what I've heard the upgrade to 1.0.6 in Hoary was mostly due to the
fact that it broke extension compatibility with earlier versions,
although I could be wrong.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Finding a needle in a haystack is a lot easier if you burn down the
haystack and scan the ashes with a metal detector. -- the Silicon Valley