Popup blocker on ff

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 28 20:47:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:32:05 +0100
Daniel Taylor <ubuntu at danielt.com> wrote:

> Jack Jackson wrote:
> > Has anyone used the function in the address bar of FF where you can type
> > dict [space] word and ff will go get the definition from
> > http://dictionary.reference.com/? like:
> >
> > dict zero-sum
> >
> > brings you to
> > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=zero-sum
> >
> > ?
> >
> > How is it possible that on that site, which I have *not* permitted as an
> > allowed site for popups, can get FF to display an unrequested popup window?
> >

> > Curiously,
> > JJ
> >

> 1. i don't get any popups on that site,
> 2. maybe it's a new type of popup, that FF doesn't know about yet, like
> a flash popup's etc., but i can't comment because i just don't get a
> popup or a message telling me one has been blocked.
>
> - Daniel

I noticed on updating to Firefox 1.0.6 using apt, that I was getting pop-ups that I hadn't had before. On checking my settings in Edit > Preferences I saw that the popup blocking was no longer enabled ( check box was blank) . Since I had not changed this at all, I thought it odd, but re-enabled it.

I no longer see the popups. I have no idea whether this setting was changed by the upgrade, or how - but I'm quite certain I didn't change it myself. I *always* have popup block enabled, as I bet most people do...

Perhaps check your settings to see if this is the case for you ?

Peter