Evolution : problems with the spell checker

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Jul 27 19:13:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 19:45 +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 July 2005 17:58, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > Problem : the spell checker doesn't seem to distinguish between the
> > languages ! It's like it merges the two dictionaries into one huge one !
> > I tried the following silly two examples, and it doesn't detect any
> > error !!
>
> There are people who use many languages all the time, and mix and match even
> in the same paragraph.  So it really wouldn't be good have the computer
> trying to guess what you want, and deliberately telling you that words in a
> foreign language are "wrong"!

Yes, that was only a quick suggestion/idea... ;-)
Having a fast/handy/convenient/easy way to explicitly select a language,
though, would be nice. Combo box in the composing window or whatever...

> But you could always use a multilingual word processor for composing your
> emails.  I'm pretty sure that either (both?) OpenOffice and AbiWord let you
> say which language each paragraph of a document is in.

Wow, that's overkill... just the opposite of what I was seeking.. 'on the fly' language selection ;-)
Would be quicker to untick the non-desired languages and restart Evolution ;-)

--
Vince