Firefox nightly builds and coexistence with 1.0.6?

ausaitis ausaitis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 23:31:56 UTC 2005

Having recently transitioned from Windows XP to ubuntu, I would like to
continue testing both Firefox and Thunderbird nightly builds as I have
been doing under XP for a very long time. I would, however, like to keep
a stable version of FF and TB installed alongside the nightly builds.

Clearly, installing FF 1.0.6 from the sec rep is easy enough, but for
the life of me I can't work out how to install an additional nightly
build so that it uses its own separate directories for both binaries and
profile. The same question would also hold true for Thunderbird.

I have downloaded the tar.gz files from the Mozilla ftp and I have
installed Firefox by placing the binaries in a /opt/firefox directory. I
then created a custom app launcher under Gnome and provided the path to
/opt/firefox/firefox  with the -p option to create a separate profile
folder, but at this point it insists on running the existing 1.0.6
installation and ignoring the nightly?

Would some one be able to walk me through the steps necessary to achieve
my objectives please?

Thanks

Aus.