hdparm.conf

Jason Voegele jason at jvoegele.com
Tue Jul 26 17:07:56 UTC 2005

Hi Arjan,

On Tue, July 26, 2005 10:53 am, Arjan Geven said:
> On 7/26/05, Jason Voegele <jason at jvoegele.com> wrote:
>
>> But by no means should hdparm be providing its own GUI wizard.  Indeed,
>> hdparm is also used in a server environment where a graphical
>> environment
>> might not even be installed.
>
> Eh?  I agree with you that it's good to separate concerns, and that
> calling programmers lazy is really not fair, but here, I disagree. A
> GUI wizard is perhaps not needed in server environments, but that
> doesn't mean that it shouldn't be provided at all. There are also many
> users who DO have a graphical environment, and a GUI just allows for
> much faster and easier changing your configuration without the
> necessity to read the man pages, the web documentation and mailing
> lists. A good program is intuitive, and does not require its users to
> climb a learning cliff. Which is something a lot of people in the
> Linux world still have to learn I guess.

I'm not saying that a GUI wizard shouldn't be available, only that it
should be provided by a distribution or desktop environment.  I don't
think it makes sense for each and every application out there to reinvent
the wheel and create its own configuration GUI.  A configuration editor
should be a generic component, such as Webmin for example.

Now in order to have a truly generic configuration editor, more
applications would have to agree on a consistent config file format, but I
think that is far more preferable than each application writing its own
configuration GUI.  What GUI toolkit should it use?  Do you need to
provide a different GUI wizard for each toolkit out there?  Should it
integrate with debconf?  I don't think these are questions that can be
answered at the individual application level, but rather are questions
that can be answered by Ubuntu, or Gnome, or KDE, or Webmin, etc.

--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that