Ubuntu DVI video port support

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Mon Jul 25 23:28:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 15:28 -0700, William Chapman wrote:

> Matt,
>
> That was it!  I removed the VGA cable, and the system came up on DVI from boot!!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Bill Chapman

It worked.  That's Great.

But I have some notes:  With my current VGA card "MSI GeForce FX 5700
ViVo 256MB" I can't connect 2 analog monitors at the same time!  One of
the two must be digital.  And guess what?  DVI has two specifications:
DVI-D which is digital, and DVI-I which is analog (you can convert this
one to the normal "VGA-15 pin" through a small kit/dongle that probably
is shipped with your card/LCD monitor)!  Both specification have the
same layout/number of pins!  (Most (all?) VGA cards that have DVI port,
support both types.  However, the other way is not true!  A lot of the
LCDs found on the market only support the analog interface even though
they have DVI as their connector (mine is one of those)!)

Just want to share something that almost drove me crazy not long ago.
Ziyad.