Oldworld-Mac:Howto copy the kernel to an hfs partition during istallation?

Rainer Gutkas Rainer.Gutkas at kstp.at
Mon Jul 25 19:49:56 UTC 2005

Tommy Trussell schrieb:

>On 7/25/05, Rainer Gutkas <Rainer.Gutkas at kstp.at> wrote:
>

>>Hi there!
>>
>>Maybe I'm just to dumm to complete this task, because I know I did it
>>once, but can't remember how.
>>
>>The problem is that I try to set up Ubuntu-Warty as server OS on my G3
>>Powerbook Wallstreet, which is old-world. So I got the
>>installation-kernel, but don't know how to get the kernel warty
>>installed onto the hfs partition with bootx on it.
>>

>Try the procedure at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallOnOldWorldMacs --
>(ignore the miboot stuff and use BootX on your Wallstreet). It sounds
>like a scary tightwire act, but you'll "pivot_root" between the
>installation kernel and the installed kernel to get the hfs driver you
>need.
>
>There are several of us discussing this at
>http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=27831&page=1 so you might
>want to post there if you still have trouble.
>

>>My harddisk is hda, the hfs partition hda7 and the root partition hda9.
>>
>>oh and from the partitioning program I saw that the startup-Partition of
>>the startup disk is hda6.
>>

>Don't get too confused by all the strange partitions on a Mac OS
>volume. All you really need to know is the partition with your Mac OS
>and BootX, and the partitions you've set up for root and swap.
>

>>So actually I don't know how to mount these devices during the setup
>>progress using a shell.
>>
>>mount -t hfs /dev/hda7 /mnt/macos
>>
>>doesn't work.
>>

>Yes, sadly the installation disk's kernel doesn't do hfs. Fortunately
>you can "pivot" to the installed kernel that does!

Thanks a lot, this thread helped me, so actually I still get the can't
mount root device message. But that problem is also mentioned on the
page, also if the solution is missing. I guess I'll try my luck and
email to Tim Carrol, who mentioned he had the same problem and hope that
he also found a solution.

Rainer