Oldworld-Mac:Howto copy the kernel to an hfs partition during istallation?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 17:08:11 UTC 2005

On 7/25/05, Rainer Gutkas <Rainer.Gutkas at kstp.at> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Maybe I'm just to dumm to complete this task, because I know I did it
> once, but can't remember how.
>
> The problem is that I try to set up Ubuntu-Warty as server OS on my G3
> Powerbook Wallstreet, which is old-world. So I got the
> installation-kernel, but don't know how to get the kernel warty
> installed onto the hfs partition with bootx on it.

Try the procedure at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallOnOldWorldMacs --
(ignore the miboot stuff and use BootX on your Wallstreet). It sounds
like a scary tightwire act, but you'll "pivot_root" between the
installation kernel and the installed kernel to get the hfs driver you
need.

There are several of us discussing this at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=27831&page=1 so you might
want to post there if you still have trouble.

> My harddisk is hda, the hfs partition hda7 and the root partition hda9.
>
> oh and from the partitioning program I saw that the startup-Partition of
> the startup disk is hda6.

Don't get too confused by all the strange partitions on a Mac OS
volume. All you really need to know is the partition with your Mac OS
and BootX, and the partitions you've set up for root and swap.

> So actually I don't know how to mount these devices during the setup
> progress using a shell.
>
> mount -t hfs /dev/hda7 /mnt/macos
>
> doesn't work.

Yes, sadly the installation disk's kernel doesn't do hfs. Fortunately
you can "pivot" to the installed kernel that does!