Ubuntu DVI video port support

William Chapman jeddahbill at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:24:01 UTC 2005

To the Video Gurus in Ubuntu Land,

I have two Ubuntu systems, one with an older MB (Asus P4T533-C) and a
GeForce 4 ti4600 nVidia adaptor (from MSI).  The video adaptor has
both VGA & DVI ports.  I have installed the nVidia drivers per the
UbuntuStarterGuide and have excellent performance, but only via the
VGA port; I have never been able "to activate" the DVI port under
Linux.  I've searched the MSI website and find no Linux drivers.

Question 1:  Is there a way to get the DVI port going under Ubuntu in
this setup?  (This may be a MB/bios limitation.)  Any comments would
be appreciated.

My other Ubuntu system is a little newer:  a Shuttle SFF box with a
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Atlantis video adaptor, and the DVI port is
active immediately at boot-time (probably because of MB/bios support).
  However, the video adaptor lacks Linux drivers; as far as I can
tell, only the ATI-made Radeon 9600 boards have Linux drivers
available.

Question 2:  Is this last statement true?

(Sorry if this query is a little off-topic, but please forgive me.  I
am a big Ubuntu supporter!!)

Many thanks,

Bill Chapman