Wifi on HP zv6000 series notebook problems

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Mon Jul 25 18:53:47 UTC 2005

Hello,

I recently purchased an HP zv6131us notebook with the AMD Athlon64
processor. To my understanding I believe it has Broadcom for wireless.
I can't find anything on the HP site which states what wireless chip
it has. But the recover cd has in the WLAN directory the bcmwl5.inf
file and drivers.

Forgive any mistakes in this message as I am writing from my work PC
and from memory.

I attempted to use the ndiswrapper-source in Breezy.
If I remember correctly it failed because it could not find
ndiswrapper-utils or some such.

So I downloaded the latest source for the 1.2 version.

Did something like make debian binary or something like that.
I've done so many things I've gotten lost in the maze. :(

It created two debs for me for my 2.6.12-k8 kernel.
One for ndiswrapper and one for ndis-utils (?).
I installed the debs with dpkg.

Everything seemed fine.

I then did the ndiswrapper -i /media/cdrom/SW.../WLAN/bcmwl5.inf

Everything went according to instructions.

ndiswrapper -l   displayed:
ndis drivers installed:
bcmwl5     driver present,    hardware present

then did

ndiswrapper -m
modprobe ndiswrapper

iwconfig  showed no wireless extensions. :(

Okay. Restart machine.

dmesg shows an attempt to load ndiswrapper but complains that its a
32bit module for a 64bit kernel.

So back to research.

I find the netbc564.inf and the BCMWL564.sys files.
I remove (ndiswrapper -e) the bcmwl5 driver.

I then install (ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf).
Everything seemed to go fine.

But on ndiswrapper -l   I get:
netbc564     driver present

It doesn't detect the hardware. :(

I have been through the mailing list, ubuntuforum, google and have
gone in circles.

Any help getting my wireless up and running would be greatly
appreciated.

Jimmie