can't get online

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Jul 22 22:54:54 UTC 2005

If you only get seven lines when you type "ifconfig -a" (that is what you
typed, right?), and you don't say what those lines are, I must assume that
the lines relate only to the loopback interface "lo" and not to "eth0"
which would mean that your NIC isn't being seen. This is if, and only if,
you typed "ifconfig -a" in the terminal. If "ifconfig -a" indeed shows
lines relating to "eth0" when you try it, please post the results of
typing "sudo dhclient" in the terminal.