virus detection in evolution

Charles Malespin charles.malespin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 20:15:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 15:47 -0400, damonw5 wrote:
> Charles Malespin Wrote:
> > Hi all, I use evolution to get my gmail mail and sort them out with one
> > folder for this mailing list, and one for personal mail. Is there
> > something I can use to scan emails for viruses and things like that?  I
> > am running a default set up of hoary so is there something already
> > enabled to help this out?  I dont want anything super crazy or
> > complicated, just something I can scan individual emails with or just
> > kinda filter all the emails I get.  Nothing too difficult please!
> > Thanks,
> > Charles
> >

> > --
>
> There are 60,000 viruses for Windows. There are approximately 40
> viruses for Linux.
>

> Gmail automatically blocks many types of files that contain viruses,
> and full-fledged virus scanning is on the horizon.
>

> Probably 99% of viruses are in attachments to email. Macro viruses for
> Outlook and Word, etc. don't run on Linux.
>

> In short, viruses are not a big concern for Linux unless you are afraid
> of infecting your Windows peers. Be careful with attachments and use
> Linux and you should be all set.
>

> Others here can tell you about setting up a virus-scanner, though.
>

> --
> damonw5

Thanks for the quick reply.  Basically I am asking because I got an
email from someone that I want to scan(it has an attachment).  Other
than that I know that linux is fairly safe etc.  I havent opened the
email, nor do I do this ever from someone.  But this address seems
familiar so I just wanted to scan it to be safe.  Is there anything I
can use to do this?