nvRAID RAID-0 (nForce4)

Peter Lieverdink ubuntu at cafuego.net
Fri Jul 22 10:13:36 UTC 2005

Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is anybody here managed to install Ubuntu on a RAID-0 system with an
> nvRAID (nForce4)  storage controller? How can I do this? When the Ubuntu
> installer starts up it cannot recognize my RAID-0 array and recognizes
> them as two separate hard drives.

No need for proprietary drivers. In the installer, you can configure
RAID when you get to the partitioning stage. This would use KERNEL
software raid, as opposed to on-CHIP software raid.

Doing it in the kernel this way (via the md driver) will give you 1)
better performance and 2) means you don't need proprietary drivers.

- P.