KDE vs Gnome

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier ubuntu at zonker.net
Fri Jul 22 00:10:42 UTC 2005

Hi Bernie,

> Hi.....  Just wondering, I'm new to Linux  and just wanted some simple
> answers.....
>
> !) What is the bottom line difference between Gnome and KDE?

Um... I don't think I can give a simple answer to that one. They have
somewhat different design philosophies, use different GUI toolsets, and
tend to appeal to different audiences.

> 2) Can't I install both and switch back and forth?

You certainly can.

> 3). Is it just personal preference as to which GUI you like?

Largely, yeah. There may be features in GNOME or KDE that aren't present
in the other, but it's not like one is vastly superior to the other or
anything - it's mostly picking the one that fits you best.

I'd recommend trying them both, so that you can get a feel for the one
that suits you best.

> 4). Can apps that run on Gnome also run on KDE and vs versa?

Yup. As long as you have the right libraries installed, you can run KDE
apps while in GNOME and vice-versa. Assuming disk space isn't a big
factor for you, I'd install Ubuntu and then install the Kubuntu packages
as well. (See the Kubuntu website here for instructions:
http://www.kubuntu.org/documentation.php#d0e123)

> 5).  Is the desktop the only difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu?

Pretty much.

> Sorry if I have over simplified my query.

No worries. Hope you enjoy using Kubuntu/Ubuntu!

Best,

Zonker