Getting Java for Ubuntu (was Re: Hoary Hosed: synaptic in dependency hell)

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Jul 21 16:02:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:59:24 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I have this one worry: how do I keep up-to-date with Java without tower-net?
> The procedure I used does not prove that tower-net was the culprit, only that
> somehow there was a non-ubuntu version of 3 packages for a time.
>
> Any guidance?

The Extras repository of http://backports.ubuntuforums.org has Java, at
least for i386. I don't know what the solution is for amd64, but for
powerpc, one must download the latest IBM Java for pSeries as a .tgz, and
use the make-jpkg command from the java-package package in universe.
However, that command is straight from Debian, and fails on Ubuntu unless
you first type "export DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=powerpc-linux" because the
default is powerpc-linux-gnu.