Synaptic. Installed (local or obsolete)

James Livingston jrl at ids.org.au
Thu Jul 21 14:51:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 16:34 +0200, Bjørn Ingmar Berg wrote:
> In synaptic, in the group Installed (local or obsolete) I have six items.
> <snip>
> Am I right?  And can I tell use Synpatic to remove these to no ill
> effect to my system?

Packages are listen in "local or obsolete" if they don't exist in the
repository. This means that either a) it was never there, and you
installed it from somewhere else (downloaded, or from a repository that
is no longer in your sources.list) or b) it was in the repository, but
isn't anymore, usually because it has been replaced with laters version
with a different package name.

As long as you don't need them for anything you can remove them.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
One distinguishing characteristic of BOFHen is attention deficit
disorder. Put me in front of something boring and I can find a