Firewall

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Jul 21 11:23:22 UTC 2005

susantha Bandara wrote:
> please send me details on ubuntu firewall config. I have a plan to
> protect Ms Exchange 2000 server with ubuntu frewall. please send me
> relevant help and support

using a general-purpose distribution for firewall is not unlike using
the heat from your car engine to cook dinner.  It can be done and it's
much harder than using the right tools.

there are multiple dedicated distributions for firewalls out there.  I
am biased towards IPCop because I'm one of the founders and helped
develop it to version 1.2 (now version 1.4).

once you have your hardware setup, if it takes you more than 15 minutes
to set up the firewall and make a network secure, more than 30 minutes
to add and verify pinholes or an hour (or two) to set up a network to
network VPN, you are probably using the wrong distribution for a firewall.

---eric