Assimilating E17 and Gnome (was: E17 in ubuntu and themes)

Matthew S-H mathbymath at aol.com
Wed Jul 20 18:36:33 UTC 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 7:24 AM, Steve Torrefranca wrote:

>> How'd you go about loading E17 onto Ubuntu??  Is there an apt-get
>> method or did you download and install all of the sources in the
>> appropriate order??
>> Mike
>>

> there is a link in ubuntu
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=46105&page=1&pp=10 which will
> tell you how to install E17 with no hitch.
>
> after you have followed the instructions you just download the more
> stuff you need from
> http://www.get-e.org/Main/Home/index.html to further improve
> experience.
>
> now E17 only has few eaps that you can use in the menu and IBar so you
> need to get it from get-e.org. the crystalclear eap has most of the
> stuff you need.  the gant theme for evidence is also brilliant!
>
> after tha your desktop will look something like this:
> http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/stevetorrefranca/images/snapshot5.jpg
>
> you can browse thru snapshot1 - 5 if you want.
> my ubuntu E17 rocks that even Mac OSX would look like Win 3.0
> beside it

I am just looking at the snapshots (not yours -- the ones on the E17
home page), and I LOVE what I see.
I think that this kind of window manager is EXACTLY what Ubuntu
needs.  It looks awesome, has great functionality, and a lot of
potential for improvement.
I only have a few questions/suggestions:
     •    Is it possible to try to assimilate E17 into Gnome/KDE?
The interface is awesome.  I am not quite familiar with the
underlying parts, so I don't really know about this.
     •    Would it be possible to run E17 without losing any of the
advantages that come with using a de-facto standard like Gnome or
KDE?  I know that there are issiues with libraries, but I don't
understand them.
     •    Could this be added to Ubuntu?  I know this would probably
be a huge undertaking, but I think it would be important.  Pretty and
easy GUis are a big turn-on for 98% of the world (noobs), and I think
that E17 is great in this aspect.  Apple has gained a lot of ground
with its interface in OSX, and E17 could do the same for the Linux/
Debian/Ubuntu community.
     •    Are there copyright/patent issues with using an interface
so similar to that of OSX?

I am just hoping...

~Matt