Ubuntu Hoary - Upgrade to latest subversion release

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Tue Jul 19 14:36:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:22:05AM -0400, Gregory PiƱero wrote:
> I wonder if I could grab the latest Subversion package from Breezy
> without changing my sources.list?  That's the only program I need the
> latest from.  Can you tell apt to install a package you bring in from
> somewhere else?

You could do that. First you download the .deb file with
Subversion in it, which I think would be here:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/subversion/subversion_1.1.1-2ubuntu3_i386.deb

Then you do 'sudo dpkg -i [the above filename]'. You'll
probably get an error that you need to install some other
packages first. So you'll go through and install those, one
by one.

There may be -- probably is -- an easier way, and I hope
others will chime in about this.

I think pinning is probably the easier way, actually. You'd
pin Subversion to Breezy, and pin everything else to
Hoary. But then you'll run into problems, because when you
try to install Subversion there will be other packages that
you need to install from Breezy, which you won't be able to
install because they're all pinned to Hoary. So you'll have
to add these packages one by one to your list of
Breezy-pinned packages. It's always seemed like a bit of a
headache to me, but it *ought* to be a headache: you don't
want to be able to destabilize your system easily.

> Alternatively, maybe I could compile Subversion from source or however
> that works?  I really do want the stability of Hoary so I'd prefer not
> to get anything else from Breezy.

Makes sense. I'd avoid compiling directly from source.
Whenever Breezy is stable, you'll want to be able to upgrade
your whole system to Breezy, and you'll want Subversion to
be upgraded along with the rest of your Ubuntu packages.
Compiling from source knocks part of your system out of
sync; I avoid it whenever possible, and here it's certainly
possible.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org