spyware in ubuntu?

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Tue Jul 19 03:56:14 UTC 2005

Steve Feehan writes:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 10:15:53PM -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:

.
.
.

> > First, thanks for all the quick responses.  I have been doing some
> > reading on linux security etc. and I have been following the advice
> > given by larry.  I update my system with synaptic regularly, and I never
> > use root unless I need to.  The only reason I am asking is because I
> > went to google today and for some reason it said that it could not
> > complete the request because it had possibly detected spyware or adware
> > on my computer.  But I dont know why it would say that, and it only did
> > it twice. Since then it has not done it.  Just a fluke, or something I
> > should worry about?  I havent really added or changed too much from
> > default that would cause a major security problem(or so I think, I guess
> > thats why Im asking).  Any ideas?
>
> I'm curiuos about this. If you see this page again, can you please
> post a screen shot?

And probably notify www.mozilla.org, too-I think the bounty is still
in effect, and I'm sure they would be interested. It might have been
transient with google, and maybe not. (I use google extensively
through the day, and have not seen this-but that doesn't mean it does
not exist.)

Its good you are security conscious on things like this, Charles.

    John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/