Everydaiy the same mail message to admin- mail adress

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 22:30:00 UTC 2005

On 7/18/05, Rainer Gutkas <Rainer.Gutkas at kstp.at> wrote:
> I find that my laptop sends me
> the same message each day:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
> error: bad year 1904 for file /var/log/wtmp in state file
> /var/lib/logrotate/status
> run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1
> /etc/cron.daily/tripwire:
> ### Error: File could not be opened.
> ### Filename: /var/lib/tripwire/pismo.twd
> ### No such file or directory
> ### Exiting...
> run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/tripwire exited with return code 8
>
> I don't know what tripwire is or does,

Tripwire is an optional package (NOT in the Ubuntu standard
installation) that watches important files on your laptop to notify
you of any unusual activity. Open Synaptic, search for "tripwire" then
if the package is installed, remove it. I think it's safe to say that
if you don't know (yet) what it does it should not hurt to remove it.
You can always re-install it later.

If Tripwire is NOT installed then something very odd has happened to
your cron scripts!

(Also if you look at that /var/log/wtmp file you will notice that the
file got modified at some point when your Mac's clock was way off.
That's what tripwire is complaining about.)