Ubuntu "Lite" (Or dare I say.. 'Lubuntu'.. :)

Rainer Gutkas Rainer.Gutkas at kstp.at
Sun Jul 17 14:07:07 UTC 2005

Dennis Kaarsemaker schrieb:

>On za, 2005-07-16 at 23:09 +0700, Chanchao wrote:
>

>>Is there (and if so what is) a good way of uninstalling all Ubuntu
>>services that aren't absolutely necessary in order to gain some
>>available memory and therefore speed?  Perhaps even ditch Gnome in
>>favour of something leaner?  All they have to do is run Firefox.
>>

>Perform a server install and install fluxbox or xfce instead of gnome.
>You should try another browser too, firefox isn't the lightest...

 From my experience with Window managers form the last few weeks, I
wouldn't recommend xfce as Window Manager for use in an internet cafe:
1) The speed gain compared to gnome isn't very high
2) It's awfully buggy

But I can recommend ICEWM. It's a fast, stable windowmanager. The thing
I don't like is that the menu has to be configured all by yourself,
because ICEWM doesn't import debian-menu like xfce. But if you only need
to run firefox, you can easaly autostart it and there are also a lot of
menueditor's for icewm!!!

Oh and I nearly forgot, there's somebody building a lite version of
Ubuntu, but it's still in test phase. I just had a look at my personal
archives and the quicksearch failed. So I'm sorry I can't give you more
detailed information. But when I got a bit more time than right in the
moment, I can search for it again, if you're interested!

Best regards,

Rainer