Upgrading to breezy from Hoary?

Henning Kilset Pedersen henning at mopo.no
Wed Jul 13 07:26:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 09:51 +0300, Juho Teuho wrote:
> On 7/13/05, Henning Kilset Pedersen <henning at mopo.no> wrote:
> > Can I just substitute the sources in sources.list
> > with breezy sources, close my eyes and type
> >
> >     # sudo apt get upgrade
>
> It's probabaly better to do `apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade`.
>
> BUT right now I would suggest anyone, but the devs, to keep off of
> Breezy. Of course, unless you're ready to have your desktop hosed. Oh,
> yes, that's the point of development branch ;).

What I'm really after, and getting desperate at it, is getting Ruby on
Rails to function on Ubuntu. As of two days ago, it is no longer
possible to install Rails on top of the apt-supplied (from hoary
universe) Ruby 1.8 packages, as some dependencies are now broken.

To my knowledge, Rails has a proper, working version on Breezy. I've
been unable to use the Ruby / Rails packages from breezy on hoary, due
to too many dependencies on newer dev. libraries (libc among others).

> I upgraded last week, and everything else seemed okay, but there were
> problems with X.org and restricted modules. X.org got straightened
> with a little help from forums.

Yes, I read about that in one of your earlier posts, I believe. I am
just using the standard nvidia X.org module (is that correctly stated?
i.e. I don't have any specially-installed nvidia stuff).