how to monitor hdd temprature

Bob Hentges bob at hentges.net
Mon Jul 11 07:02:53 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>>Well, my gkrellm after installing hddtemp is reading 31C (uptime 2d
>>18h) .... also do not know what is a good temp to set the alarm ....
>>but my computer is in a fairly aggressively airconditioned office.
>

> Ah yes, it's 25 degrees in my flat, and I have two drives heating
> eachother, not just one, so maybe no wonder why yours is much cooler.

Mine is about the same: 32°C. But as my machine is a notebook (IBM
Thinkpad), the temperature might not be comparable as such. (Perhaps
2.5'' drives run significantly cooler than 3.5'' drives. Although I
doubt it.)

> Hopefully someone will know if 52 degrees is too much or not... in the
> meantime, I will google ! ;o)
> One of the drives if brand new, so maybe I can find the PDF datasheet on
> the web, and see for myself what the recommenced operating temperature
> range is.

Now, even though I am not sure at all, I would say that 52° is around
the upper border of the good temperature band. Any higher than 55°
should be avoided at all cost.

I found this: "Most drive manufacturers recommend a maximum operating
temperature of 60C/140F. High operating temperatures have been proven to
cause premature drive failure." at [1] under the section "HOT RUNNING
iMac G5 DRIVES".

I hope that these lines help at least a bit.

[1] http://barefeats.com/imacg52.html

Friendly
--
Bob Hentges a.k.a. maradong