Huge Gnome startup delay

Jeff Peeler jpeeler at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 12:50:49 UTC 2005

I'm having about a 2 minute and 30 second startup delay every time gnome
starts. Everything loads as expected until gnome-panel loads. It then just
shows the two "bars" and then sits there and finally loads everything. It
would be helpful if I knew where gnome stored its startup logs if it has
any like X does. Also, on occasion I get the following four separate
errors:

The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_WindowListApplet".
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_Panel_TrashApplet"
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet".
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_ShowDesktopApplet".

If these errors appear, my bottom panel doesn't load anything above which
is everything on it.

I'm not using the back ports repository on this machine. My laptop that
is using it is running fine.

Here's what I have tried so far:

I tried a new .gnome2 directory with no success.

I tried logging in with another user and the same delay occurs.

I tried removing everything in the /tmp dir. I saw a Breezy post about
this and thought it might be worth a shot.

I tried deleting everything in the .gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers
directory. This fix actually worked temporarily and startup occurred a few
times normally. Upon restart though the same delay returned.

I'm really not too sure where to go from here...