loop-AES and ubuntu

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Thu Jul 7 10:10:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 Jul 2005 10:51, Nik4 wrote:
> On knoppix i use the the follow to mount the encrypted partition
> (hda7):
> losetup -e aes /dev/loop1 /dev/hda7
> mount -t reiserfs /dev/loop1 cryptoloop
>
> On Ubuntu I use the same two statements above but the mount statement
> generates an error (bad superblock etc). I can still use Knoppix on
> that partition, so looks like the problem is with the losetup
> statement.

Where are you getting encryption keys from?  If you make an encrypted
partition, you need a key that tells the system how to encrypt new data onto
it, and how to decrypt data off of it again.

I'm not *too* familiar with all of this, but my aes-loop setup uses a gpg key
on disk.  If you just encrypted a partition with a random key (which might
happen if you don't supply a key), then it won't be readable next time, and
so you'll get the "bad superblock" error.

my /etc/fstab has an entry like:

/encryptedpartitionorimage /mountpoint ext2
loop=/dev/loopN,encryption=method,gpgkey=/keyfile

Note that I use ext2 even though my main fs is reiser, since reiser is NOT
recommended with encrypted filesystems.

Anyway, with /etc/fstab setup, you can just do:

mount /mountpoint

and then enter your password, to get things running.

Otherwise, you'll need to pass the same arguments (loop=...gpgkey...) to mount
itself, using -o.

Hope that helps.

--
Lee Braiden